Friday, January 18, 2013

The Good Shepherd

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
I shall not want for that which I require, for he meets my every need
I shall not want material possessions, for he satisfies my every desire
I shall not want for glory or power, for I have surrendered to his name

He makes me lie down in green pastures
Pastures so tender that I cannot help but lie down
Pastures so soft that they bring me true rest

He leads me beside the still waters
Not raging waters that are dangerous
Not hot stagnant pools that can make me sick
But sweet, refreshing waters of life

He restores my soul
When I am depressed, he is my restoration
When I am sad, he is my joy

He leads me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake
All my righteous acts are as filthy rags
But when he leads me into righteousness, he is glorified
He knows my name, and I follow his voice

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me
He will not abandon me to the wild beast like the hired hand
He will not let the thief lead me astray
He has already laid down his life for me, so I have nothing to fear

Your rod and your staff, they comfort me
I am comforted by a rod that will never allow me to go astray
By a staff that will always protect me

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup overflows
Today he is my shepherd;
But I am also the adopted son of his Father
One day, I will be with him in glory where he will prepare a banquet for me in my honor

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life
And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

No comments: