Monday, June 3, 2013

Uganda Mission Devotional 1 of 12: Are You Ready

In approximately 6 weeks from today (6/3/13 - leaving 7/13/13), a group of 15 individuals will be leaving for Uganda going on a mission trip with Designs for Hope (www.designsforhope.org).  They will be distributing Designs for Hope bicycle generators to Pastors in northern Uganga as well as doing discipleship training, evangelism, and other things.  I will be posting about 2 devotionals per week from now until then as we prepare spiritually for this journey.   You are cordially invited to join us as we go through these devotionals and to pray with us for our trip.  Devotional #1 is below.


Devotional #1: Are You Ready?


Isaiah 6:1-8
In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!” And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke. And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!” Then one of the seraphim flew to me, having in his hand a burning coal that he had taken with tongs from the altar. And he touched my mouth and said: “Behold, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away, and your sin atoned for.” Isaiah’s Commission from the Lord. And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” Then I said, “Here I am! Send me.” (ESV)

In a few short weeks, we are going to be setting out on an amazing journey.  We have agreed to go on mission with Designs for Hope to a place most of us have never been to minister to people who we not only have never met, but who are also of another culture - speaking another language - and who are in every way possible different from you and from me.  It will be both a physical journey and a spiritual journey and I can assure you that if you pour yourself into this effort, you will be forever changed for the good as a result. Our physical journey will not begin until midnight on July 12th; however, let there be no mistaking the truth:  Your spiritual journey begins right now.

The very first step on that journey is to ask yourself this important question: Are you really ready and willing to go and be used by God on this trip?  It has always amazed me that God chooses to fulfill his purposes through human agents.  The God of the Universe who created everything through his Word is capable of accomplishing anything through his Word.  Yet, despite that omnipotence, it has always been his good pleasure to use mankind, like he did with Isaiah in the scripture above, to work out his will on earth.

Just like in Isaiah's day, God is still asking the question: Whom shall I send and who will go for me.  I believe that each and every one of us are together on this trip because we have received a calling from God the same as Isaiah.  Perhaps our calling is not to go into a lifetime of prophetic ministry, but he has called us to mission nonetheless.  By signing up to go on this mission trip, you have responded in like kind to Isaiah, saying "Here am I; send me."  So today you need to ask yourself that very important question again (stated more simply this time): "Did I really mean that?"  When you signed up for this trip were you saying to God, "Here am I; send me"?  If so, then you have agreed to become an Ambassador of Christ to Uganda for approximately 1 week.  How seriously will you take that responsibility?  In the coming days, these devotionals will speak more to the significance of that responsibility.  For now, however, suffice it to say that if you really did mean it and you really take that responsibility seriously, then together we need to prepare for this amazing journey.

The purpose of these devotionals is to get you to think and meditate on important aspects of the trip that we are about to take.  Hopefully, they have been crafted in such a way as to prepare you for events to come.

For today, however, I would ask that you focus your quiet time on those five words spoken by Isaiah and presumed by each of us going on this trip: "Here and I; send me."  Do you truly believe that God has called you to this mission?  Are you willing to do what God wants you to do - starting with preparing yourself over the next few weeks spiritually and emotionally through these devotionals and/or other means?

Father, I pray that as we prepare for this mission trip we will come to realize how significant your call has been on our lives.  Show us the eternal value of our obedience.  Encourage us even as we labor in the midst of our commitment.  Prepare us for your will.

No comments: