Monday, January 27, 2014

It Was A Test - Designs For Hope Eluru Trip Day 4


Today started out with a bang - literally - at least for Matt.  We had been discussing the power situation and how most electronics will operate at both 110v and 220v.  That was when Matt noted that he wasn't sure whether his Ryobi battery charger was 110v only or 110-220v.  He though he would give it a test.  A flash of light and a puff of smoke later, his question was answered.  Now his Ryobi battery charger is just a pretty green paperweight.

Despite its rough - but comical - start, today proved to be a very productive and beneficial day.  In the morning, we installed 10 Designs For Hope bicycle generator kits on brand new Avon bicycles and 2 kits on older bicycles.  We then presented the bicycles and generator kits to the pastors, along with the water filtration systems we had assembled yesterday.



The pastors were very glad and appreciative.  In Bishop John's words, they were "Very Happy."  Apparently they knew about the bicycle generator kits but had not been told about the water filters.  At first I think it was a bit of a shock when they saw I would drink the water that came from a pretty filthy rain drainage pond nearby.  However, when they saw how pure and clean the water was after going through the filter, they became quite excited - and wanted to try it for themselves.

Afterwards, we interviewed the two pastors who had previously field tested our prototype generators. They told us how they had used the lights to hold night-time bible services in some of the remote villages.  Something they would not have otherwise been able to do.

After lunch, we went to visit one of ICM church's schools in the nearby village of Madepalli.  



While Bishop John inspected the teacher's records, I managed to get the kids in trouble - at least twice - by making faces and gestures at them when they were supposed to be sitting quietly.  Apparently I get a bad conduct grade (I think I have too much of my Daddy's blood in me).   They sang us some songs and then I told them the gospel story using the color wheel.

To end the day on a good note, we went back to the Bishop's House and the orphanage - after stopping by a local sports equipment shop and buying a couple of balls, two frisbee, a jump rope, and Cricket bats for the kids... Yes, apparently Cricket is the national pastime of India. If you've ever been around me in Kid's Church you will know that I am the jump rope champion.  You wouldn't know it by looking at me, but it is true.  I'm proud to say I still hold that title.  The kids were impressed. I've never played Cricket before...until today.



I still don't get it.  Maybe I should stick to jumping rope. Matt tried his hand at Cricket as well...


While Josh played frisbee with just about every kid there...all at the same time!



It really was a good day today.  Tomorrow, we hold the pastor's conference. 

Eluru Traffic report.  Cows are still running rampant in the streets and taxis are going every which way.  There are more people in the streets than you could think possible.  How they keep from getting killed I have no idea.  Then there was the guy on the motorcycle carrying the golden Mr. Universe trophy... Go figure. Today's traffic was probably the worst yet.

No comments: