Wednesday, December 26, 2007

When Satan Strikes

Scripture tells us that Satan is roaming the earth like a lion looking for those whom he can devour (see 1 Peter 5:8). I suspect that most Christians would admit that they know that. That same scripture also tells us, however, that we should always be alert and ready for his attacks. I suspect that most Christians would admit that they do not do that. It’s the classic James chapter one hear vs. obey dilemma in which we, as arrogant, disobedient children, often find ourselves. We know in our hearts that Satan is out there, but in our weakness we think that we are either immune to his attacks or somehow above their influence. Then it hits. Out of the blue you are hit with a full-frontal attack from the enemy.

Satan will use whatever means he can to discourage, dissuade, or destroy the work and ministry of a faithful believer. He will try to discredit you. He will try to guilt you. He will try to wear you down until your effectiveness is eroded away into nothingness. What is more, the attack can come from anywhere – even from within the church. Those are the worst, because it is within the church that Christians most often let their guard fall. Oh yes… don’t think for a moment that Satan cannot use the failings and weaknesses of Christians to facilitate his attacks on other Christians. He does it all the time. What is worse, those who are being used usually feel justified in their actions and may not even realize they are being used by the enemy.

I had such an attack this past week. Things had been going remarkably well with little room for complaint – other than the fact that I have been working so hard that I was tired and in need of a bit of respite. I suppose that was the opening Satan needed, because his attack came out of the blue. The details aren't important. Sufficie it to say that it was a very effective attack from someone claiming to be a Christian. It devastated me – at first.

After a brief battle between my emotions and my head, reason prevailed. I answer to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He alone can judge my heart, my intent, and my actions. Nothing anyone else can say to me can change that.

That brings me back to 1 Peter 5:9. That scripture reminds us that when Satan attacks, we are not to give way to his attack. Rather we are to resist him. James 4:7 tells us that when we resist the devil, he will flee from us.

When Satan attacks, we must resist. Not in our own strength, but in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty.” (Zechariah 4:6) John 16:33 tells us that Jesus has overcome the world. Romans 12:21 tells us not to be overcome by evil, but to overcome evil with good. 1 John 4:4 says that the one who is in us (Jesus Christ) is greater than the one who is in the world (Satan).

The popular Contemporary Christian Music band Third Day performed a song called “Get On”. Worthwhile to listen to if you have access to it. As the song suggests, I will not listen to words that cause division. It is totally relevant as far as CCM theology goes. As for Word theology, though:

“No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:37-39 (NIV)

Praise be to God Almighty.

How did I get past this particular attack? God was gracious to me, because in my personal devotionals the very next morning, I read Romans 14:1-15:13. When you get a chance, go read it again. By the way… I really like Romans 15:13.

3 comments:

Bonnie Smothers said...

Big Daddy,
I can relate very much to this blog. I too have been attacked by a fellow christian. But, I knew this person and I loved them, I love them.

But to quote someone I love:

"Every experience... every situation... every hurt... every success...
are all opportunities to grow in Christ and increase our faith and trust in Him."

Thank you for sharing.

Missy said...

The thing about attacks within the body of Christ is that it hurts more.
You gave me a good piece of advice this summer though and I have taken it to heart. You said that I cannot be someones judge and jury. I have to take them at their word and they have to deal with their consience. You put it much better, but I have fallen back on that advice many times since then.

Jeri Tanner said...

God is good to send comfort and encouragement to us through His word in such timely ways. I'm glad he did that for you, Big D!

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

Wonderful words.